Monday 28 July 2014

Maybe I can stop using the new bike build as a balance bike soon!!

Another piece of the jigsaw arrived this morning, SRAM X9 crankset.  Super value for money £50 including delivery from EBay.  26/39 80/120 BCD chainrings which will save me a bunch on the next set of replacements for my SRAM XX crankset on the Anthem, win, win.  As per the EBay listing these chainrings weren't used, they were just pulled off a new bike and this can be clearly seen in the photo's.  I've kind of been impatient with the progress of the build, I want it yesterday attitude, cos it's so damn light, so, I've been riding around the house on the top tube of my 29er balance bike.  That'll have to stop now :)



The intention with the crankset is to remove the spider which holds the 2 chainrings onto the crank arm and install a spiderless or direct mount chainring.  If you look at the image below, you'll see the 3 retaining screws (marked).  It's just a case of removing the 3 screws, remove the spider and install the chainring and 3 screws, easy.  Now the only downside is that the drive side spacer is only 9mm, so I've had to go with a chainring with little or no dishing.  AbsoluteBlack are producing a Narrow/Wide chainring to suit the standard spindle length (they already produce one for the longer spindle).  So in the meantime, my EBay special 32T (£13) will be the testing ground to see whether I've enough gears climbing or flat speed before I invest in Narrow/Wide chainring.

No comments:

Post a Comment