Monday 28 July 2014

Super Glue, only thing it seems to stick to is me!!

Well, got home, out with the torx bits and proceeded to butcher the crank arms, well actually remove the spider from the drive side arm.  They were tight enough, careful now, don't want to screw them up.  Anyway job done, cheap Argos scales out once more for the before and after shot!


So coming in at a hefty 737gms complete with spider and 2 x chain rings.


And after a bit of doctoring, a mere 544gms, add on around 50gms for the 32T and I've saved around 150gms, bonus.

So to the super glue.  The chainstays on the frame are quite beefy and looking around the likes of the Lizard Skin chainstay protector in Jumbo size just won't cut it and I don't particularly want one of those stick on leather patches which will invariably fall off in due course.  Having found this random video on Youtube I set about making it, well feck me, talk about awkward, more glue on my fingers than the trimmed inner tube and the only thing that was sticking was my hands to the inner tube or the tube of super glue!!.  Abandon that idea, go for the "Old Skool" chainstay protector.  Job done, and not a bad one at that and at no expense at all.

So, cranks installed (it's a case of RTFM when you're installing BB30 cranks) the spacers don't go where you'd like them to go and you see the wavy washer which normally is on the drive side of a GXP, well it doesn't go there either.  I had great fun removing the spindle from the frame after I'd greased everything up!!


"Old Skool" chainstay protector


No comments:

Post a Comment